Difference Between Onboard Courier and Conventional Courier Services
Onboard Courier VS Conventional Courier Services
Choosing the right global time-critical delivery solutions for your cargo is of paramount importance. While conventional courier services might tick all your boxes for a particular shipment, an onboard courier service might be more appropriate in certain situations such as the delivery of sensitive documents. Let’s delve into both services further and check out the obvious differences as well as pros and cons of both.
What is a Conventional Courier Service?
A conventional courier service will be carried out by a time-critical logistics specialist with experience of transporting cargo from one place to another. Items can be delivered in any way you choose, be it road freight, air freight or air charter – and can be tracked accordingly. Conventional courier services often carry heavy loads and rely on numerous people and processes to get the job done properly. Cargo can pass through multiple hands.
What is an Onboard Courier?
Unlike conventional courier services which are perfect for large consignments that need to be transported en masse, onboard couriers travel on a commercial airline to expedite the delivery of time-sensitive shipments. Onboard couriers take personal responsibility for shipments and make sure items are delivered safely and on-time. Government documents, medication, jewellery and other high-value items are often transported using an on-board courier as it helps to minimise security concerns and improves accountability.
What are the Advantages of an Onboard Courier Service?
There are many advantages to using an onboard courier service over a conventional courier. For example:
- Onboard couriers travel with your shipment, keeping it safe at all times. You won’t have to worry about it being bundled onto a lorry or plane among other shipments.
- Onboard courier services minimise contact with your shipment and offer a more personalised touch. Your shipment will be hand-delivered by an experienced courier and won’t be passed around by multiple shipment experts.
- Onboard courier services tend to be faster than conventional courier services as there are no delays associated with drop-off and pick-up.
- The service associated with onboard couriers is of a premium quality. While it can be more expensive, you’ll enjoy ultimate peace of mind.
- Onboard couriers are also easy to contact and can answer specific questions about the transportation of a particular item.
When Should I Use an Onboard Courier Service?
There are times when an onboard courier service is advisable. For example:
- If you need to ship a high value item or one that contains sensitive information. It’s common for onboard couriers to carry single documents with them on a flight so that they can’t get lost or stolen.
- When conventional courier services can’t meet your delivery needs. Certain shipments follow a very specific schedule, but onboard couriers can provide a more prompt delivery.
- When you need someone to manage the shipping process from start to finish on your behalf.
Always choose the right courier service for your needs and remember to budget for them accordingly.